Please select one of the options below to view coverage details.

Assistive Devices Program (ADP)



Through the Assistive Devices Program (ADP), the Ontario government helps people with long-term physical disabilities pay for custom orthopedic devices and braces. Only Certified Orthotists are allowed to bill ADP for the provision of Orthotic devices.


Who qualifies?

To qualify, you must

– be an Ontario resident

– have a valid Ontario health card

– have a disability requiring the equipment or supplies for six months or longer

ADP does not consider your income when assessing eligibility.


Who does not qualify?

You do not qualify for the ADP if you:

 – already qualify for or are receiving financial support for the same equipment or supplies from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)

 – are a Group “A” veteran and already qualify for or are receiving financial support from Veterans Affairs Canada for the same equipment or supplies


How to apply

As Certified Orthotists our clinicians serve as both a registered Authorizer and Vendor and will assess your requirements on a case-by-case basis. Please Contact Us to organize an assessment appointment.


How much is covered

ADP covers 75% of the cost for approved orthopedic devices. For these items, the portion paid by ADP is paid directly to us and you pay he remaining 25% when you recieve the item.


Types of devices NOT covered

ADP does not cover some types of orthopedic devices and braces such as

– arch supports

– carbon-fibre braces

– centrally fabricated and pre-fabricated (off the shelf) braces

– DonJoy Knee braces

– fracture braces

– nighttime-use-only orthoses

– orthopaedic shoes (even those custom-made) and modifications

– post-operative support braces

– shoe inserts

– SpineCor braces

– stockings for varicose veins or venous insufficiency

– treatment machines, such as transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) or continuous passive motion (CPM)


Repairs and replacements

ADP does not cover repair costs. You must pay those costs yourself. Care and maintenance of the equipment is your responsibility.You are eligible to receive a new device/devices every 2 years starting from the date that you were initially fit with your orthopedic device.

Non-Insured Health Benefits Program (NIHB)



The Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Program is a national program that provides coverage to registered First Nations and recognized Inuit for a specified range of medically necessary items and services that are not covered by other plans and programs. Only Certified Orthotists are allowed to bill NIHB for the provision of orthotic devices.


What is covered by the NIHB Program?

Most orthotic devices are covered by the NIHB program for those who meet NIHB’s eligibility requirements. For a comprehensive list of devices, please Click Here.

Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB)



WSIB provides some coverage when there has been an workplace injury requiring an orthotic device as part of the treatment. Clinical Orthotic Consultants can directly bill WSIB in most cases once coverage for the prescribed device has been approved.


What is covered by WSIB?

Each case is different when dealing with WSIB. Typically WSIB will require an initial assessment appointment to formulate a treatment plan. Once we have assessed your individual needs and submitted our quote to WSIB, they will determine if coverage is given.

Green Shield Canada (GSC)



Green Shield Canada covers a variety of medical devices including orthotic devices. Clinical Orthotic Consultants is able to bill Green Shield directly in most cases.


What do GSC cover?

Your individual plan with GSC will determine what items are covered and at what rate they are covered. We advise that you contact GSC prior to proceeding if you are unsure of your coverage to find out what is covered.


How does GSC work when ADP is involved?

GSC in Ontario is familiar with how ADP works and will co-ordinate your benefits with that in mind. If you are covered for the device, they will typically cover the portion that is not paid by the ADP program at the rate defined by your coverage plan.


What about deductables?

In come cases GSC will cover only a certain percentage of the whole cost of an orthotic device or you may have a deductible amount that must be paid. In such cases, payment will be required on the date that we fit the device.


Clinical Orthotic Consultants is experienced in dealing with many different insurance companies and while we typically do not offer direct billing with insurers other than those listed in the other sections on this page, we can provide all required documentation for you to submit your claim. Please Contact Us for more information on the documents we can provide or to book your assessment appointment today.